Monday, December 19, 2011

ELF

So I received an email this morning from the front office that was telling teachers to collect all fuzzy hats, candy canes, candy, etc. It made me wonder what the office would think of my lesson today: We will be watching "Elf" as a class and then they will be telling me how Buddy the elf is an archetypal hero- they must identify the four steps to a Hero/Quest Archetypal Story:
1. Separation from the known world
2. Initiation into a new world
3. Discovery about oneself of the world
4. Return to previous life

I am tempted to respond to the office's email with this quote from the movie...
"We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup."- Buddy

So the next time you watch "Elf" as a family, you can think about how you are not only being entertained, but you are also watching an educational video. :)

English teachers are creative, what can I say?! May everybody discover their inner ELF this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment